1983 publication. VG hardcover with slipcase. Slipcase with some wear. Book spine with very minimal fading. Otherwise, the book itself is in pristine condition. A very fine copy of a collection including Herman Melville’s best-known work, Moby-Dick. The other two pieces in this collection, Redburn and White-Jacket, reward reading and offer portrayals of the United States of Melville’s time.$20.00
VG hardcover with slipcase. 2000 London Folio Society Edition, with an Introduction by FredericC Raphael and etchings by Jane Joseph. Translated by Stuart Woolf.
Primo Levi was an Italian Jewish chemist, writer, and Holocaust survivor. If This Is a Man (1947) (U.S.: Survival in Auschwitz), is his account of the year he spent as a prisoner in the Auschwitz concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland. With the moral stamina and intellectual pose of a twentieth-century Titan, this slightly built, dutiful, unassuming chemist set out systematically to remember the German hell on earth, steadfastly to think it through, and then to render it comprehensible in lucid, unpretentious prose. What has survived in Levi’s writing isn’t just his memory of the unbearable, but also his delight in what made the world exquisite to him.$25.00
VG paperback, 2002 publication. Neil Peart is an international bestselling author, and the lyricist and Hall of Fame drummer for the legendary band Rush. Within a ten-month period, he suffered family losses so devastating that they left him choosing between life and his own death. Deciding on motion, he got on his BMW R1100GS motorcycle, and over the next fourteen months, rode 55,000 miles, in search of a reason to live. Ghost Rider is an intense, exciting and ultimately triumphant narrative memoir from a gifted writer and musician, who started out as a man reduced to trying to stay alive by staying on the move.$20.00
These are 7 assorted books from the multi-volume American Artists Edition of Mark Twain, published in the 1920s by Harper & Brothers. All books include a color plate in the front and additional b&w illustrations throughout. The books are not pristine and show some signs of wear on the ivory covers and spines, but the bindings on most are tight and there are no marks in the texts. See below for details on each volume. Contained in this set are:
– Vol. ? : The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The spine on this book shows some heavy wear towards the bottom so that the volume number cannot be read.
– Vol. 3 : Pudd’nhead Wilson
– Vol. 4 : The American Claimant
– Vol. 5 : A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. The binding is loose on the front board, with a tear along the seam on the inside front cover.
– Vol. 6 : Roughing It
– Vol. 13 : Following The Equator, pencil mark on endpaper of 10¢
– Vol 18 : The $30,000 Bequest
NOTE: This set will require $10 in shipping instead of the usual $4$40.00
$10 each, all very good condition:
1. An Outlaw and A Lady: A Memoir of Music, Life with Waylon, and The Faith That Brought Me Home by Jessi Colter, wife of Waylon Jennings. 2017, Harper Collins. Hardcover with DJ.
2. Long Ago And Far Away: James Taylor His Life And Music by Timothy White, 2002, Omnibus Press. VG paperback with sections of b&w photos throughout. “No writer has interviewed James Taylor and his family in greater depth over the decades than Timothy White, editor-in-chief of Billboard and former senior editor of Rolling Stone.”
3. Rumors of Glory, a memoir by Bruce Cockburn. 2014, Harper Collins. VG hardback with dust jacket.
Beautiful VG hardback art book with dust jacket, oversized, many color plates throughout printed on glossy paper. Texts by Magdalena Dabrowski and Rudolf Leopold. Published on the occasion of a show of the same title at the Museum of Modern Art October 1997-January 1998. Published by Yale University Press.$20.00
VG Hardback book with DJ. 2015, Disney Editions.
Ample color and b&w photos and drawings.
“A stunning tribute to the lifelong friendship and collaboration of Salvador Dali and Walt Disney. In 1945, the two began working on a project together, intended to be a short animated film called Destino. Dali partnered with Disney Legend John Hench to storyboard the film, but production was brought to a halt because of financial difficulties. Over fifty years later, Walt’s nephew Roy E. Disney decided to give it new life. The film went on to be nominated for an Academy Award in 2004 . This volume showcases all 150 pieces of art created by Dali and Hench. Also, the sole piece of animation art that was filmed in 1946 is showcased in a series of images explaining how it was digitally cut apart, restored and then reassembled for the 2003 completed film version.”$15.00
4 Biographies of remarkable actresses, $10 each.
– Elizabeth, J. Randy Taraborrelli, 2006, Warner Books, with two sections of b&w photos.
– Gloria Swanson: The Ultimate Star, 2013, Stephen Michael Shearer, with two sections of b&w photos. Note: contains an inscription from a former owner on front endpaper.
-Me, Stories of My Life, Katherine Hepburn, 1991. Book of the Month Club. Price-clipped dust jacket, 165 b&w pictures throughout.
– Marlene Dietrich, 1993, by Maria Riva (Dietrich’s dauhter), Alfred A. Knopf. b&w photos throughout.$10.00